Monday, June 7, 2010

The Pervasity of Fear


Fear is pervasive. Once you are scared of a particular thing, it's really easy to see threads connecting that thing to other things. One of those laws of inertia - if you are fearful of something, you are more susceptible to be fearful of other things.

Which is why I need to stop reading certain types of articles. You know, the ones about people who have lost it all or close to all of it, like this one.


Intellectually, I know we're fine. As long as we're careful - really, really careful. This month is a bit of an expensive one, what with finishing our budgeted shopping list and our vacation, but after that, we're in lockdown. And that's a good thing.


But the news out there, while mixed, can be terrifying. I know we're going to be okay. And yet the news about the recession we're in isn't good, and the idea that we're headed for a double-dip recession seems more and more likely.
So I'm nervous. I try not to let it get to me too often, but I am.

No comments: