Sunday, April 13, 2008

How Does My Garden Grow Week 3

This week spring weather finally made a brief appearance in Massachusetts.  It quickly dropped back into the 40s, but a day of 70 degrees was all it took to pull Sander and I feverishly towards the yard.

We've made an agonizing decision - agonizing because I hate to spend money on things of short-term value - to hire someone to do a one-time yard cleanup for us.  Between our home projects and getting the garden space ready, spending 3 or so weekends (the time we estimate it would take) to clean up our 3/4 acre property is just a little too much.  This is one of the ways in which our working life makes our home life more expensive, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Sander has already spent about 5 hours outdoors working on cleanup, and has barely made a dent.  

We've begun to mull over what plants will be moved to make space for the vegetable garden.  I spent time this weekend transplanting and thinning, but there's quite a bit more still to do. The nice thing about transplanting is that I can do a few at a time, in 10 minute increments.  

Actually, most of gardening works like that.  Planting, weeding and harvesting can all be done in short bursts, and it's one of the reasons that I think gardening is a great thing for even the busiest people.  

My composter arrived this week, along with a compost crock I'd ordered for the refrigerator.  I could have skipped the crock and just used tupperware, and perhaps in retrospect I should have.  I was seduced by having a special item for my composting, but in reality, it was $20 I probably didn't need to spend.  I'm chalking it up to a lesson learned (I was too seduced to return it before I started using it) to remind me to always look at what I have first, then buy only if I don't have what I need.  

Next weekend we'll begin clearing the garden space outdoors.  

No comments: